Fortune 500 companies, large internet service providers, the US Federal Government, and thousands of others use SolarWinds software tools to manage their IT networks. In early 2020, somebody compromised a SolarWinds software update and turned it into an attack tool.
Cory Hepola sent out the Bat Signal, and as the official WCCO Radio Batman of cybersecurity, we talked about what the SolarWinds attack means on WCCO Radio, Friday, Dec. 18, 2020 at 10:05 AM US Central time.
This could be the attack we’ve been afraid of since the dawn of the internet era. Listen to the interview to find out why, and what a supply chain attack is.
For more information, see:
- My blog post about fallout from the SolarWinds attack
- CSO Online – SolarWinds attack explained: And why it was so hard to detect
- Krebs on Security – VMware Flaw a Vector in SolarWinds Breach?
- Krebs on Security – Malicious Domain in SolarWinds Hack Turned into ‘Killswitch’
- Krebs on Security – SolarWinds Hack Could Affect 18K Customers
- Krebs on Security – U.S. Treasury, Commerce Depts. Hacked Through SolarWinds Compromise
Here is the same recording on the Cory Hepola Podcast on the WCCO Radio website.